The Family Learning Team are based in Learner Reception so that we are fully accessible to all learners.
We aim to support our learners in their social, emotional and mental wellbeing, establishing an atmosphere in which situations and problems can be discussed in a confidential and supportive way. We aim to empower the learners with self-help strategies, talking about their emotions and feelings along with building up their own mental resilience to be able to cope and manage difficult situations.
As a team we aim to help support learners in the best way possible and part of our support toolkit is to signpost both youngsters and their families towards external agencies who are highly skilled in specific areas and may offer a more clinical support.
A range of common issues that we are able to support include:
- Anxiety, around exams, social situations etc
- Bereavement and loss
- Internet and online safety
- Mindfulness and mental resilience
- Developing effective self-help strategies
As a team we are available during the breaks in the school calendar and on these occasions often run an activity. These include:
- Ministry of Parenting Understanding our Teens – A course designed for parents and carers to help manage and understand the issues that their teenager may well face on a daily basis. How as parents can you create a better partnership to help reduce the stress during this turbulent time? Discussion and workshops in a group environment where you can support each other facing similar challenges.
- Transition Week – For new Cohort 7 learners to familiarise themselves with the school and build new and transferable skills ahead of beginning the school year. This event is support by learners in other Cohorts who wish to offer their help and support for younger learners.
- Dog Week – A therapeutic dog they enables learners to become engaged in all aspects of caring for an animal.
- Activities Week – A wide range of fun and engaging activities to allow learners to work on further their skills in communication, collaboration and relationship building in a fun relaxed manner.
- Wilderness Day –A small group of learners are able to experience the Wilderness Project.
As a team we are able to support referrals to the ‘Wilderness project’ and ‘Young Firefighters’ and others external educational projects which have a learning focus on practical and vocational skills.
The Family Learning Team can be contacted during term time and during the school holidays via [email protected] or telephone 01376 561231 or 07739752238.
The Family Learning Team is managed by Mrs Kerry Nichols who is the Designated Child Protection Lead and Designated Person for CIC. She can be contacted on 01376 561231, Direct 01376 564779 or email [email protected]